Changeable queue limits

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a clean way to have queue limits change based on some events/situations (or if Cylc could add this sort of functionality). For example

• Time of day - have different limits at different times of day based on expected HPC schedules. For example, limit to 10 jobs between 00-03Z and 20 jobs 03-06Z and then unlimited afterwards
  • Other tasks - change the limit based on task events/messages
  • Some other events - message broker messages, tasks events from other suites, etc

With larger ensembles competing for resources, there are times when it would be very useful to be able to adjust the queue limits based on conditions, whether that be time of day or when other systems start/finish running which are a higher priority. The best idea I’ve had would be to have tasks which check for times/events and then use a broadcast to adjust them back and forth, but that feels quite clunky.

Regards,
Tom

Hi,

At the moment the answer is no I’m afraid. However, at Cylc 8 we have abstracted away the queueing logic which means we can now write additional queue implementations without breaking existing logic, so adding support for this sort of thing will soon be possible.

We haven’t yet exposed this abstraction behind a plugin interface so you can’t get at it yet. Priority queues (sorting) is on our books, your dynamic case is more interesting, could potentially be controlled via cylc broadcast. Two issues to track:

Oliver