Cylc scan and cylc kill

Hello guys.

I’m starting to learn Cylc and I’m following the tutorial on puma.nerc.ac.uk. The suites I’m running are in examples/tut/oneoff. Now I have lots of suites that seem to be running but I cannot kill them. Any suggestions?

luciana@puma:/home/luciana> cylc scan
test-jobsub2 luciana@localhost:7773
test-jobsub luciana@localhost:7776
test-remote luciana@localhost:7777
test-xios-esdm luciana@localhost:7781
test-today luciana@localhost:7782
luciana@puma:/home/luciana> cylc kill -f test-jobsub
luciana@puma:/home/luciana> cylc scan
test-jobsub2 luciana@localhost:7773
test-jobsub luciana@localhost:7776
test-remote luciana@localhost:7777
test-xios-esdm luciana@localhost:7781
test-today luciana@localhost:7782

I’m also kind of newbie to Linux. When I tried to kill the process, I used top and there are no processes to be killed.

Thanks!

Luciana.

Hi Luciana,

If the suite won’t shutdown normally, then use ps -flu luciana on PUMA and you’ll see all the python processes for the suite.

E.g:
ros@puma$ ps -flu luciana
F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD
1 S luciana 14314 1 0 80 0 - 5861 ? Sep16 ? 00:00:00 ssh-agent
1 S luciana 16009 1 0 80 0 - 52714 ? Oct18 ? 00:02:09 python /home/fcm/cylc/bin/cylc-run test-jobsub2

Then you can use unix kill <PID> command to terminate them.

Regards,

Ros.
P.S. You can use the NCAS-CMS helpdesk for any queries regarding Rose/Cylc on PUMA.

1 Like

Thank you, Rosalyn. That worked perfectly! :slight_smile:

And also thank you for the tip about the NCAS-CMS helpdesk. :))

Kind regards, Luciana.

Hi Luciana,

The cylc kill command kills selected task jobs in a running suite, it doesn’t kill the scheduler program itself.

To get a suite to shut down cleanly, use cylc shutdown <suite> or cylc stop <suite>.

That should work fine. In rare occasions where a suite becomes unresponsive, as a last resort you can kill the Linux process as shown by @Rosalyn_Hatcher. (Note you can still do a restart, from wherever the workflow got to, even after a hard kill).

(See cylc kill --help etc.)

Regards,
Hilary

Dear Hilary.

That’s very helpful. Thank you so much! I’ll try your approach next time I have an unresponsive suite.

Kind regards.

Luciana.