Did I hallucinate an ability to broadcast a JSON file?

When making additions/changes to the runtime environment of a task via “cylc broadcast”, the documentation for broadcast tells me that I can either use the --set argument to pass one item/value, or the --set-file command to pass a file full of them. I’ve been using “–set”, and if I had multiple things to pass I just issued multiple commands. I imagine that using the file makes more sense, if for no other reason than that I don’t have to have the task issuing the broadcast commands connect to the server over and over.

My memory was that the file should be in JSON form. But looking at the docs now, I don’t see any reference to JSON for the broadcast file at all. I even loaded the single-page users guide and grepped through the whole thing for JSON; the references I did find had nothing to do with broadcasting runtime environment changes. Did I just imagine that? Or is it in the docs somewhere and I missed it? Or was it a part of an earlier version but is gone now?

Thanks!

Congratulations on being the first (to my knowledge!) to hallucinate about cylc broadcast :tada:

As the example in cylc broadcast --help shows, the file should simply be a suite.rc fragment. As far as I recall we’ve never supported JSON for that.

You could of course broadcast valid JSON as the multi-line string value of a single job environment variable, or the location of as the JSON file, if that’s any use.

Hilary

" Congratulations on being the first (to my knowledge!) to hallucinate about cylc broadcast"

A dubious honor, for sure! :slight_smile: