Cylc 8 GUI display order

At cylc 7 the “text view” showed tasks in definition order, is there a way to get the “tree view” in cyc 8 to do the same?

In one of my more complex workflows I ordered the tasks/families so that they roughly ran from top to bottom in the text view, but this seems to have been lost at cylc 8.

You won’t be able to do that, I’m afraid. (We have no plans to support definition ordering in Cylc GUI).

When you say “roughly ran from top to bottom” - would the table view ordered by start time work for what you are trying to achieve?

It was more that it followed the dependency graph

FAMA => taskb => FAMC => housekeep

would show up as

FAMA
     taska-1
     taska-2
     etc
taskb
FAMC
    taskc-1
    etc
housekeep

The various sub-graphs in the workflow I’m thinking of basically follow the pattern of a (large) group of tasks, followed by a dummy task indicating the group has finished, which in turn triggered another (large) group of tasks. I generally tried to order the text view to reflect this, even if it didn’t completely match the dependency graph.

That sounds like a job for Graph view, falling back to table view if the graph is too big.

The graphs in this particular workflow get huge (chunking of ensemble data from multiple models using jinja2, multiple levels of parametrization and family grouping), so the old “text view” was a handy shortcut.

We’ll see how it goes for now, this may be an indication that this workflow has grown too large and needs to be broken up.