Cylc remote cmd does not pass STDIN

Hi there,

I am trying to run cylc-8.1.2 suite remotely.

suite installs files on a remote host, but fails to submit.
it seems to me, that for some reasons, the 'cat my_task/…/job | ’ that should appear in front of the ssh cmd is missing.
i tried to dig a bit and i got lost :wink:

• the TaskJobManager submit_task_jobs() method puts an apropriate cmd [with 'cat …/job | '] to proc_pool
  • but the SubProcPool _run_command_init() has a cmd without 'cat …/job | ’ string, and stdin_files are empty

also, when i comment out cmd.append('--remote-mode') in submit_task_jobs() the cmd that appears in job log starts with 'cat …/job | ’ substring; [of course it fails later for other reasons, having remote_mode set to False]

I would be grateful for any hints.
maybe there is sth I am missing in global.cylc or suite flow.cylc?

Hello,

To help us debug, could you provide the error that Cylc reported.

You can find this in the “job-activity.log” file for the job which failed to submit. This command will help you to find the file:

$ cylc cat-log <workflow>//<cycle>/<task> -f a

hello,
here is the job-activity.log:

[jobs-submit cmd] ssh -oBatchMode=yes -oConnectTimeout=8 -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no okeanos env CYLC_VERSION=8.1.2 bash --login -c ''"'"'exec "$0" "$@"'"'"'' cylc jobs-s
ubmit --remote-mode --clean-env --path=/bin --path=/usr/bin --path=/usr/local/bin --path=/sbin --path=/usr/sbin --path=/usr/local/sbin -- '$HOME/cylc-run/exp9/run21/log/
job' 1/buy_ingredients/01
[jobs-submit ret_code] 1
[jobs-submit out] 2023-04-06T19:23:31+02:00|1/buy_ingredients/01|1|
2023-04-06T19:23:31+02:00 [STDERR] [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'sbatch'

which reminds me, that when I tried to submit the above cmd manually, i needed to remove ‘–clean-env’; then, once the files were installed on the remote host, it worked [sbatch is not in any of the paths above]

It looks like the Slurm job submit command is not in your default environment on the job platform.

The --clean-env option above (which is internal to Cylc) stops the scheduler environment from being passed on to job platforms. It can be turned off with a global config setting, documented here (along with the rationale for why a clean environment is desirable):

https://cylc.github.io/cylc-doc/stable/html/reference/config/global.html#global.cylc[platforms][<platform%20name>]clean%20job%20submission%20environment

From what you say, it may be sufficient to turn that off. Or otherwise, make sure the correct environment is set in your login scripts on the job platform.

Hi,

thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted to ask - if I can pass the submission options from global.cylc.
Setting the clean-env to False worked.
I will try also to keep it True, and pass the contents of server path, although it is a very long path - it’s cray, with several modules loaded by default.

thanks for help!

1 Like