Pass suite to another user?

Hey there,

Is it possible to swap users who are running a suite?

I have 2 colleagues; 1 who ran some suites, some of which need restarting but who has changed jobs; and 2 who is the one taking over the suites/project.

My guess is that the user 2 should check out the suite and run it pointing to the restarts of the suite from user 1 (and changing the dates etc).

Thanks for any other tips or advice.

Jonny

Hi @jonnyhtw,

OK, in case anyone is wondering, with Cylc 8 you can authorize other users to control, and even start, your workflows.

But from what you say, user 1 is leaving for a new job, so you need user 2 to take ownership of these workflows mid-run. And I’m guessing this is Cylc 7.

I’ve actually never tried this[tested!], so you might want to test it first with a dummy workflow, but off the top of my head here’s what user 2 should do (for Cylc 7):

• copy user1’s suite source directory (or check it out from the repository, if user 1 didn’t run from a modified working copy)
  • register the new suite, to create the new run directory ~user2/cylc-run/[suite-name]
  • copy the private database from ~user1/cylc-run/[suite-name]/.service/db to ~user2/cylc-run/[suite-name]/.service/db (the DB contains the suite state required for a restart)
  • copy from user 1 any run-directory data needed as input by tasks at the restart point
    • (not necessary if both user’s run directories are symlinked to a shared project area)
  • check that all output locations in the suite config are user-independent, or writeable by user2
  • do a restart, as if the new suite had already been run: cylc restart [suite-name]

Hilary

2 Likes