Cylc-8.0a1 Preview Release - via conda

Hi everyone,

The first “alpha 1” preview release of Cylc 8 is available for viewing and testing by interested users.

Cylc-8 (described here) is much easier to install than Cylc-7 - just follow the instructions in the cylc-conda README file. Please read current limitations first. Feedback welcome!

Thanks to the team for the brilliant job so far :bouquet:

Hilary

2 Likes

(cylc1) bash-3.2$ conda info --envs

conda environments:

base $HOME/anaconda3
cylc1 * $HOME/anaconda3/envs/cylc1
p27 $HOME/anaconda3/envs/p27
p37 $HOME/anaconda3/envs/p37

(cylc1) bash-3.2$ conda install cylc
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.

PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from current channels:

• cylc

Current channels:

To search for alternate channels that may provide the conda package you’re
looking for, navigate to

https://anaconda.org

and use the search bar at the top of the page.

looks like only for Linux?

OK. got it installed on a Linux system.

1 Like

Great! Yes, we don’t support MS Windows at this stage.

And do you support OSX?

(Sorry I’ll reply on @hilary.j.oliver’s behalf, since he is on holiday this week so probably will not be able to rely for a while):

No, we only support Linux platforms at the moment.

We don’t officially support Mac OS at present, however, I have successfully run Cylc7 on (now quite old) Mac OS 10.11. Have heard from users on Mac OS, this forum might be the best way to reach them. I think newer versions of Mac OS may require DNS configuration to work with Cylc.

If trying to install on Mac OS, Cylc requires some of the GNU coreutils tools.

See the instructions on Homebrew about adding these to your $PATH:

1 Like

is ‘graph’ supported to produce a visual of the graph strings?

so far, i have yet, to produce one of these on any platform (Linux, OSX) using versions 7 and now 8.

(cylc1) $ cylc --version
8.0a1
(cylc1) cylc graph t.01
UserInputError: Only the --reference use cases are supported

Cylc “graph” is a GUI feature which will be implemented in the new browser-based GUI. The old cylc graph command has been retained for its --reference functionality which is used in testing.